The Auburn is a retreat for writers from any discipline of story-telling and from any corner of the world.
The Auburn has been created specifically for writers from backgrounds that offer little encouragement or financial support and who are most in need of a bolt-hole from the hurly burly of everyday worry and woe.
The Auburn is run in association with INTENT New Theatre and Off West End Plays & Playwrights, both recognised charities, who aim to provide a supportive context in which artists can devise new projects, experiment and engage with artists working in different fields and try out different approaches to story-telling. The Auburn is happy to support artists who wish to develop new ideas without the constraints of the completion of a final piece of work as well as those hurtling towards a deadline.
The Auburn, based in an Old Vicarage dating back to 1649 and once frequented by the young Audrey Hepburn, is set in 3 acres of gardens and grounds in a picturesque secluded village in Kent, just 65 miles from London and accessible by high speed train.
In 2016 Mary Martin decided to transform her home into a retreat for writers and theatre companies. With her passion for theatre and her background as a journalist and writer, Mary teamed up with Sofie Mason, founder of The Offies and the Adopt A Playwright Award. Our aim is to offer an affordable and accessible escape for writers needing peace and quiet to create. Of all the arts, theatre is closest to being a community’s live debate with itself and the value of that live debate is immeasurable to the kind of culture and society we choose to live in. This is our contribution.
The Auburn offers time, space, freedom and a nurturing environment to make new work, to meet other creatives and to explore new ways of working.
There are two options offered:
Theatre companies (up to 6 persons) are invited to apply for a 6 day residency (e.g. arriving Saturday and leaving the following Friday staying 6 nights) @ £50 per head per day/£300 per head per week, during which you can:
· stay in self-contained en-suite accommodation with breakfast, lunch and dinner supplied as required
· devise and workshop work in the Old Vicarage itself or choose between the small and large rehearsal spaces within walking distance
· use the grounds for larger-scale experiments or for simple contemplation
· swim in the outdoor natural pool.
Individual writers of plays, scripts, novels, operas, comedy, music or dance can apply for a summer residency of 1 or 2 weeks when Mary and her associates will
choose a combination of applicants to bring together @ £65 per head per night/£390 per head per 6 day period. Guest facilities include:
· comfortable modern bedrooms in the Old Vicarage or adjoining cottage
· single, shared and double en-suite rooms (we welcome couples or single guests)
· breakfast and buffet lunch are included and own kitchen is provided for snacks and late night rations
· each room has a desk for writing or you can use the rooms in the Old Vicarage to make your own creative contemplation zone
· a communal 3 course dinner every evening with occasional special guest speakers
· use of the large writing room for group or individual work
· the choice of two rehearsal spaces within walking distance for workshops or collaborations
· full use of the grounds for exercise, contemplation or conversation
· outdoor natural heated pool
· miles of picturesque footpaths on your doorstep.